Friday, August 24, 2012

Still Not Sold


Mid Week Workouts - Running Sucks!!!

1.  Run
Ate three slices of delicious totally bad for you stuffed crust pizza and now I'm heading out the door to run/train.  When I get back I think I'm going to top it off with a nice cold Pepsi or beer.  I'll decide when I get home.  Even though I'm running, for some odd reason I've gained 2 pounds and I look rather bloated.  I don't know why.  I had two cup of noodles for lunch and I snack, conservatively, on mini chocolate bars all day......

Anyhoot, I start off on my 3 mile journey.  Gross homeless man tries to get my attention as I run past him.  Ewww, he looks like he's trying to follow me.  I must Run Lola Run and hope to God I don't cross his path again.  I check for my pepper spray, got it, but luckily I don't see him again.  All else goes well I guess.  During the last leg of my run, "oh bleeping bleep," my phone dies.  I hate running, but I really really really HATE my phone.  My smartphone (debatable) has an app that records my time, distance, etc.  If my phone is not on it does not record my data.  I hate my phone.  The last quarter mile was becoming a turning point for me.  One of my favorite songs came on so I was really feeling it.  I got an extra little charge and was on my way, then.....damn phone cuts off.  It completely reboots.  So now I am stuck running with no music and no accurate time/distance, which is killing the momentum I just built running three times around this stupid bleeping track.  Did I mention I hate my phone.....

I must have been taking an extremely long time to complete my run.  By the time I finished I swear I was the only one left at the Forum.  It was awful dark and quiet and it seemed like everybody just disappeared.  It was just me, myself and Irene out there.  All the men, women, kids, family's, stray dogs and cats, homeless people, crickets etc that were out in abundance when I arrive had vanished.  The place was eerily quiet.  It was like I was the only one who didn't get the memo: "Don't get Caught at the Forum at the Witching Hour: Don't you know that's when the Dragons come out and get you???? DUH!!!"  I mean damn Gina, I don't think I was that slow.  Well maybe, just a little bit.

2.  Pilates
Didn't think there was anything I dislike more than running.  Well, I was wrong; I don't like Pilates.  Not just Pilates per say, but the type of Pilates I was doing. This type is meant to punish people for being lazy couch potatoes for God only knows how many years of their lives.  Punishment for eating crap, drinking sugary drinks, driving a block to pick up potato chips when you easily could have walked.  For not stretching enough, not drinking enough water....for basically being the 99%.  From their website:

combination of weight training and Pilates done on our exclusive Proformers.....Pilates utilizes the best of both worlds: the strengthening and toning benefits of weight training, and the lengthening and postural enhancing benefits of Pilates in a circuit training sequence.

Not going to lie, the shyt was hard; real hard!!!  And it's only 45 minutes.  Forty-five minutes of pure, unadulterated hell. You're on a machine, one that looks like it should be used as a kinky sex machine.  There are all types of pulleys, harnesses, sliding platforms, elastic cords and more on one machine that you use to whip yourself into shape.  Very low intensity resistance training at it's best.  You really use every muscle in your body, you're only weight is you.  When class is done, you're shaking.  Literally, you're hands are shaking like you just got the shit scared out of you by a butcher knife wielding psychopath with a Jason Hockey-mask.  The instructor expects you to shake and makes sure you know that you will be shaking for a good 15 minutes after class ends.

The next day, my entire neck is sore (starting right below my ears), my back hurts, my butt hurts, legs, arms, etc.  The plus side....after about 20 minutes, once I got the hang of it, I kinda liked it.  Even though I can barely walk and it hurts to stretch, breathe and/or extend my lungs (my rib cages and the muscles surrounding them) and my stomach muscles are in agony....I think or rather can guarantee I will be going back.  It's a bit expensive so I'll  be going once a month.  That, paired with monthly Yoga class and my twice monthly Zumba DVD workout should be enough to satisfy one of the prerequisite mid-week training.

3.  Run
My old war injury (left knee) is acting up.  I have to ice it after every run.  I have tendentious in my left foot as well.  I have to wear an air cast after every run.  Life for my body is pretty rough in general.  Why I would punish it even further is beyond me.  I really want to quit but my mother is threatening physical violence against me if I do.  I do believe she will "kick my butt" as she says :/


That being said, my run today was not as strenuous as I had previously imagined it would be.  Especially after doing Pilates last night. I could barely walk all day, but still I ran almost 3 miles in under an hour (49:42 minutes to be exact).  My pace is 14:41 minutes, down from 15:21 last week.  I guess that is progress.....I guess. In all fairness I still do not like running.  I do not understand how people really enjoy running as a leisurely activity.  I understand it is a great way to stay in shape and be healthy (if you take out the tremendous strain it puts on your joints, knees, ankles and feet).  I don't think I ever will get it.  Well I get why people don't run, but not why they do.  Hopefully the more meetings with my club (early early EARLY on Saturday mornings, another reason I don't get it), the more guest speakers, emails from my mentors and research I do will help me better understand they "why's" and just not the "why nots."

2 comments:

  1. Friend, you are so funny, I feel like I am running with you, I feel your pain and humor at the same time.. Keep writing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! Keep up the hard work. I know it isn't easy, but believe me it'll be "worth the hurt" when you cross that finish line.

    ReplyDelete