Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Doing a little better...I think

Week 2 - Still don't like running.

Ran 2 miles in 32 minutes Saturday morning.  Don't know if that is a good thing or a very very bad/slow thing.  I think it's not too good as I was one of the last people to make it back from my pace group.  FYI, I am in the SLOWEST pace group in my running club.  The 14 minute/mile group is the slowest/last group you can be in and still be considered a "runner."  As opposed to a walker, and that is for old ladies ;D

I've calculated my marathon run time based on my current pace.  7 hours.... 7 FREAKING hours to complete this damnable race.  From this day forward, I'm working on improving this time.  I would like to finishing in 4 but am will accept anything in the 5 hour plus range....Now I don't know how realistic this goal is, but I'd like to keep my options open.

The run this Saturday was interesting, to say the least. About half way through the last/slowest leg we had a cheering section. A voice of encouragement during this difficult period of the run.  It was really sweet.  A homeless man was yelling at us.  Telling us all we were fat and were not going to make it.  And I quote "You're all FAT!! Go home, you are not going to make it!!!!!"  How's that for positive reinforcement ;D  Last week I smelled the oh so sweet smell of weed being smoked in one of the many public restrooms.  By public I mean the wash station for the countless homeless men, women and children who reside on the beaches of Santa Monica.  I do often wonder how they feel.  The homeless who have their homes trampled upon every year by countless would be marathoners like myself.  Encroaching upon their space so we can run a marathon that will only service our delicate egos.  Making ourselves feel better and more fulfilled in life, while they starve and are forced to be pitied and looked down upon by the many who pass through their homes every weekend.  Don't get me wrong, I was cracking up when I heard the chant.  Everyone has a right to their opinion.  Plus, from what I've been told, that is just the tip of the iceberg.  I've been told to expect a hell of a lot more in the coming 6 months.  I will write about it all.

Curious observations:  I would like to add that there are a lot of women in the entire running club.  Like a disproportionately amount of women to men.  There are lots oh lots oh lots of women (every kind of woman imaginable - all different shapes, sizes, ages, etc.), couples, female couples, not too many male couples that I'm aware of, a few men and did I mention women. Maybe all the professional runners or men are training at the other more "posh" running club in Venice.  It is definitely more expensive and possibly attracts a different type of runner than what I am seeing at my running club.  I prefer my club as there are more folks like me there.  Versus the pretentiousness that is most likely represented at the other club in Venice.  Comradely is crucial and I feel it represented here 10 fold.  I do not regret my decision at all (to join the club, not the running part-I regret that everyday, but I digress)!!!

There was also a hell of a lot of funky BO lingering around for that many women, ah-hem, I mean people, at 6:30-7 in the morning.  I got there around 7:15am and WOOOSH was my nose surprised by what it got hit with.  I mean damn!!!  It was funky, really really funky.  Everyone was gathering at their designated pace group spots so we were all kind of clustered together.  But we were outside and I definitely do not have a sensitive nose.  I just hope this is not a normal occurrence of things to come.  I can handle the insults thrown at me my homeless people, as I kind of understand their contempt.  But come on people, do you really have to be that smelly at 7 in the morning? Just wondering.



1 comment:

  1. Haha, this post is funny. I feel for that homeless guy. I remember that one incident in the past (i'm sure you were in it too), we were walking from nazos holding our pizzas and cokes and a homeless guy shouted - "get back to work!", mary's (remember her?)pizza almost landed on the pavement. Hahaha!

    Funky smell? Didn't have that experience. My group smelled good. :D

    And oh, be kind to yourself.. and the "walkers". Lady, on the marathon day, you will - "run, WALK, run.." too. :D

    ReplyDelete