Friday, August 17, 2012

But, I've got a baby!!!!

Hola hola.  Attempted to run Tuesday.  The first since my "big run" on Saturday.  Per my running clubs instructions - we run 4 to 5 minutes, walk one minute, run 4 to 5 minutes, walk one, etc etc till we've gone a mile.  We do this 2 to 3 times a week; each week adding an additional mile to the mid-week run(s). In theory I should have already walked/run about 3-4 miles (in addition to the mile I ran Saturday). Next week I should run 4-6 miles.  Today is Thursday and I think I've gone about .75 miles.

But it's not all my fault.  I swear!!! I've got a baby.

My friends and family absolutely hate that saying, as I use it to explain away everything I do.  It's not cus I'm lazy or anything like that.
  • "I can't go out tonight...I have a  baby "
  • "I can't afford it, I'm broke.....I have a  baby "
  • "I can't clean up my mess.....I have a  baby "
  • "I have no energy, I'm tired.....I have a  baby "
  • "I don't have time to eat healthy......I have a  baby "
  • "I'm fat......I have a  baby "
  • "I have no time to do anything for myself.....I have a  baby "
  • "I haven't showered in a week......eh, I have a  baby "
See where I'm going with this.  Did I mention my "baby" is a 3.5 year old walking, talking, don't take sh*t from anybody, damn near self sufficient kid, but I digress.  Anywhoot, as I'm taking charge of my life now by running this marathon and not letting my kid rule over me; I decided the best/easiest way for me to achieve my mid-week runs are to include my tot.  A wise decision, I think not.

The easiest and most convenient place for me to train is the Great Western Forum.  Two times around the Forum is one mile.  I can take my child with me and she can ride her tricycle while I run/walk. It will be fun, she'll get exercise, we'll spend time together, I'll train, she'll wear herself out and go to bed early; I'm killing 10 birds with one stone.  Except my kid - most kids - does not like to follow rules.  She marches to the beat of her own slightly off key schizophrenic drum.

We get to the Forum, I set her up on her bike and I start running.  I'm a little put off already because my GPS tracking running app on my phone is not cooperating so I am not able to track my run.  GRRRRR!!!!  Now my kid is getting mad at me because I'm passing her up.  So she stops and will not start riding again until I run/walk the five feet back to where she is.  It goes:
  • "Mommy you're passing me up. DON'T LEAVE ME!!!!"
  • I stop, running in place, and tell her to ride up to me.
  • "Noooooo, don't leave me!!!"
  • I run/walk back 5 feet, wait for her to peddle up and start to run beside her.
  • She slows down to do whatever it is kids do, I pass her up "Mommy don't leave me!!!"
  • I stop, running in place, and tell her to ride up to me.
  • "Noooooo, don't leave me!!!"
  • I run/walk back 5 feet, wait for her to peddle up and start to run beside her.
  • "Hold my hand. Stop passing me. I want to hold your hand while you run. Don't leave me!!!! "
This continues on for the one lap.  My first run took 13.5 minutes.  One lap, about a half a mile, has taken at least 15-20 minute.

Lap two consists of her deciding about a quarter of the way around the track that she does not wish to ride her bike anymore.  She wants to "run" with her mommy.  Ok.  But she wants me to push the bike back to the car.....hmmmmmm NO!! So we stop/go/stop/go/stop/go back to the car, ditch the bike and proceed to run/walk around the Forum.

At this point I'm secretly glad I've brought her.  I'm really tired and don't think I can keep up the facade.  I think she's tired as well.  Towards the end of the lap she wants to sit down on various cement parking lot wheel stops to rest.  This cannot be done alone mind you.  I too, must sit next to her while holding hands and contemplating life.  We must sit for at least a minute.  We must hold hands. We must look in deep deep thought. We must do this after every 2 wheel stops we pass.  Mommy must not get upset that the brand new running short she bought are getting snagged on the concrete wheel stops.  Mommy cannot stand and hold her daughters hand, she mush sit next to her.  Side by side, attached at the hip.

Needless to say, once we get back to the car we're both tired and ready to leave.
It's been almost an hour  :/

1 comment:

  1. Aww.. I teared up a bit there when you wrote: " I too, must sit next to her while holding hands and contemplating life. We must sit for at least a minute. We must hold hands. We must look in deep deep thought.." You and your daughter are creating precious memories. Nice blog this is.. :D

    This is me, Cynthia..

    ReplyDelete